Wednesday, September 12, 2007




TO OUR JEWISH READERS:
HAPPY ROSH HASHANAH:
Molly loves holidays. Sundown today began the 2 day festival of the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah. According to my little orthodox reference, Judaism 101, this is the first and second day of the Jewish month Tishri, and the name Rosh Hashanah means "head of the year" or "first of the year". Molly is more than familiar with this holiday amongst others because her wonderful schedule book lists many such religious holidays, and I try to plan around them for the clients' convenience. I love my schedule book !!! It's so good. In addition to sectarian and international holidays it gives me the phases of the Moon, amongst many other things. Well worth the $80. I can remember a recent Jewish client who was astonished that I would dodge a Jewish holiday because the schedule said it was wrong. "But you don't observe Rosh Hashanah?". Nope, and I don't even observe Ramadan, so let's set a different date for your convenience. Hey, it's better than a computer any day. One quick glance tells you all.
The Jewish religious year is, like the Muslim year, based on a lunar year, and so the dates of the Jewish holidays vary tremendously from year to year. If you want to learn more about the Jewish New Year see the reference above or go to the Wikipedia article on same. Molly's only profane question on this matter is whether Irish Jews get to fill the ram's horn with whiskey(inside Jewish and Irish joke).
Anyways, have a good New Years, and all the best from Mollymew.

No comments: