POLLOCK'S DECEMBER NEWSLETTER:
It's that "wonderful" time of the year when the 30 belows start, cold enough to freeze the nuts off a polar bear, and you're trying to get drunk enough to brave the malls to waste money and time buying gifts for people whom you barely know and who won't appreciate them anyways. The squirrels in the back yard won't come out to get the nuts you put out for them, and all you see of them is one middle finger stuck out from the hole in the garage wall when you shake the nut bucket. Even the stray animals that savage your garbage in the alley rarely make a visit. When you drive you get bruises on your left index finger trying to find a radio station that isn't playing Christmas carols. Ah, that "wonderful time of the year". It's when, even if you live in the "crime capital of Canada", that you realize to the depths of your frozen feet why a Canadian pickpocket is a contradiction in terms. Hard to keep up the manual dexterity when you only have two fingers left, and it's impossible to pick a pocket with heavy gloves on.
But some good things are happening here in the Peg. Here's the December newsletter from the Pollock's Hardware Co-op, 1407 Main St. ,north end Winnipeg's own alternative to the corporate big box stores. Enjoy, and drop by to get out of the cold.
POLLOCK'S HARDWARE CO-OP LTD:
POLLOCK'S HARDWARE CO-OP LTD:
Warm greetings on this frigid night! Can you believe it's less than two weeks to Christmas?
We here at Pollock's want to let you know about a few things that are going on:
1. AGM Update: We held our first annual general meeting on Monday November 30th at Luxton Community Centre. Nearly 60 members came out and elected our new board, comprised of: John Loxley (Chair), Neil Duboff, Lisa Forbes, Dennis McNab, Tom Simms, Suzanne Simpson, Talia Syrie, Louise Thiessen, and Paul Worster. Welcome returning and new board members alike!
2. Holiday Schedule: Our regular hours are 8:00 to 8:00 Monday to Friday, 8:00 to 6:00 Saturdays, and noon to 5:00 Sundays. We will close at 6:00 on both Dec 24 and Dec 31 and will be closed on December 25, 26 and 27, as well as on January 1.
3. Paderno Sale - Currently on. New stock added on December 28th and going to January 2. There are some amazing deals and stock is flying off the shelves! Luckily we ordered lots so there's still a good selection. Makes a great Christmas gift for the chef in your life.
4. Other gift ideas: Lots of retro toys including Radio Flyer wagons and trikes, made-in-Manitoba wooden crokinole boards, Canadian-made wooden sleighs and toboggans, Mr. Potato Head, and green toys too. And then there's bird feeders, the ever-popular Hunky Bill's Perogy Makers, cast iron crepe (and other) pans. And hard-to-find retro items like crocks, register covers, washboards, even sock-stretchers! You name it, we've got it!
5. Is your house drafty? We have a great supply of weatherstripping, furnace filters, space heaters.
6. Other services: we reglaze windows, sharpening service (saws, scissors, tools).
7. Members Weekend: coming up January 30-31. Stay tuned for details. We hope to see you soon but in case we don't, we wish you all Happy Holidays. May we all take time to reflect on the good things in our lives and to remember those that are less fortunate.