Thursday, May 13, 2010

After 7 days of blockading Vale Inco mines in Sudbury striking members of the United Steelworkers have agreed to walk away from the barricades that they erected in the face of a court order and at the behest of union officials. Not all members of the Local were pleased with the decision. The strike is now the longest one in Inco history, and many are feeling frustration that the usual tactics have failed to bring the company to the bargaining table. Hence the blockade. The union, of course, has to argue in favour of court decisions to avoid legal penalties. In some ways this is becoming a ball and chain for the strikers. The judge who issued the decision seems to be a rather bloodthirsty individual as he also criticized the "restraint" exercised by local police during the duration of the blockade. To read more and keep up with this strike see the Fair Deal Now website. In the meantime here's an article from the Sudbury Star about the end of the blockade.
Blockades left in police hands

In a decision handed down just hours after two blockades were removed from Vale Inco property in Sudbury, Superior Court Justice Robbie Gordon ruled he would leave the removal of the blockades in the hands of the police.

"Vale is understandably impatient," Gordon said in his ruling Wednesday.

While the company is being denied access to its properties, "vast economic loss is incurred, many persons are deprived of their right to earn a living and public safety is put at risk due to the volatility of some of the industrial operations which are involved," the judge wrote in a four-page decision.

He was impressed with police lawyer Jack Braithwaite's presentation, Gordon wrote.

He was also aware of the case law that suggests he only intervene with the police role "if there was to be evidence of bad faith or evidence that police have acted or are acting improperly ...

"Accordingly, I will not at this time make any further order with respect to enforcement."

One day earlier, Gordon voiced his frustration with police inaction in the 10-month long labour dispute between the United Steelworkers and mining giant Vale Inco.

"The police have not acted, to my knowledge, in a single incident" on the picket line, he said. And in the three days the barricades have been up, police have ignored them, he said.

Lawyers for Vale Inco had gone before the judge Tuesday asking that he order the police to immediately remove the blockades, which were preventing the company from accessing its Coleman Mine property in Levack and the Clarabelle mill property in Sudbury.

The blockades, Gordon said, violated earlier orders he had issued allowing the company and its replacement workers access to facilities.

As a result, the company was asking the court "to take steps to address non-compliance with, and lack of respect, for the orders made by the court."
A public health warning...excessive self importance on the part of the judiciary may lead to fatal constipation. Learn to recognize the signs.

1 comment:

Prince said...

Great protest
this the good effort by people to get their rights from the Canadian's Government..