IN SEARCH OF A "PEOPLE'S BAILOUT:
As the prospect of a lengthy recession (depression ?) becomes clearer and clearer on the horizon the corporate managers and their political supporters are scrambling to get in line for government handouts. The continued story of the auto industry both in the USA and here in Canada has still to be fully played out. Representatives of "auto dealers" here in Canada are asking for support for the manufacturers to be extended to them as well. The latest news today is that premier of BC is demanding that bailouts extend to that provinces forestry industry as well. No doubt I'm missing several beggars who have already come cap in hand, let alone a long line of those who will be coming soon.
Others, however, have a different view of how such largess should be dispensed- to actual people who actually suffer in hard times rather than to corporate fat cats. Here's a proposal for a week of action around this issue from the Jobs With Justice Coalition in the USA.
People's Bailout Now! Week of Action Dec 7-13:
Call to Action: People's Bailout Now!!
National Week of Action December 7-13
As many predicted, the Wall Street Bailout has proven to be the gross give-away to the same financial bigwigs that have been pocketing millions while wrecking the real economy. Little or no benefit has gone to the working people and the real economy, at a time that we face the greatest economic crisis since the 1930s. By the time Obama is sworn in, hundreds of thousands of additional people will lose their jobs, lose their homes and lose their health care.
It's time for a "People's Bailout" that fixes the real economy, restores a voice for working people in challenging corporate greed, provides emergency help to the victims of the crisis and begins building a fair economy that works for all, addressing crises in housing, health care, jobs, retirement security and the environment.
Jobs with Justice coalitions and ally organizations are calling for a Week of Actions around the country that educate and mobilize in support of a Peoples Bailout.
What you can do:
1) Contact your local JwJ coalition to get involved in activities in your area. We will post a list of actions next week.
2) Organize your own event. Visithttp://www.unionvoice.org/ct/e7_xDw71SPDb/ to download an organizing kit and let us know what you are planning
Immediately we call for:
- Pass an economic stimulus/recovery package, on the scale of the emergency we face, that addresses emergency needs and supports jobs in the real economy;
- Pass the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA);
- Stop evictions due to foreclosures;
- Emergency action so people losing jobs don't lose health care. Lay the groundwork for a long-term recovery program including:
- Green jobs and clean energy;
- Restore worker justice, including EFCA and other reforms;
- Health care for all;
- Retirement security;
- Re-regulate the finance system and make the speculators pay to clean-up their mess
- Fair policies on Trade and Migration that honor workers here and abroad
Jobs with Justice is calling for this national week of action across the country, in coordination with groups such as Institute for Policy Studies, US Action, American Friends Service Committee, National Community Reinvestment Coalition.
Visit http://www.unionvoice.org/ct/e7_xDw71SPDb/ for more information.
Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Jobs with Justice at: http://www.unionvoice.org/jobswithjustice/join.html?r=h1_xDw7qQEUfE