Thursday, September 25, 2008


CANADIAN ANARCHIST MOVEMENT-TORONTO:
ANTI-PSYCHIATRY EVENTS THIS WEEKEND:
The following is an announcement from the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP) about an upcoming 'Psychiatric Survivor Pride Weekend' starting this Saturday, September 27. OCAP undoubtedly supports such efforts because the application of the pseudo-science of psychiatry (and I would definitely include all non-medical con-games known as "psychology" in its many headed hydra forms under the heading of quack science as well) serves to create part of the underclass known as the "poor". In real medicine it's called iatrogenic disease, ie disease produced by the application of ,medical intervention. In most developed societies the psychology/counselling industry has grown to be a major employer, and it is situated in Molly's view as part of managerial society. Head shrinkers form the part of the working class whose major product is social control, and the bosses in the bureaucracies in which they work are an integral part of the ruling class. How to describe it...the best way is a simple title of an essay that Molly read m,any years ago..."The Disposal of Surplus Population Under Managerial Society". It says it all. Managerial societies are very much more productive than classical capitalist ones, and fewer people are actually needed to produce real goods and services. This "surplus population" is marginalized from production in various ways, of which the production of "psychiatric patients" is one, and they, in turn, become a sort of "natural resource" which can be mined for the benefit of parts of the ruling class who can gain money by control of such marginals.
But I digress very much. Here's the announcement.
.............................
Coalition Against Psychiatric Assault
The Coalition Against Psychiatric Assault presents
PSYCHIATRIC SURVIVOR PRIDE WEEKEND:,
a celebration of psychiatric survivor resistance and community empowerment.
This year's Psychiatric Survivor Pride marks CAPA's five year anniversary.It will feature the first presentation of the CAPA Award for Lifetime Antipsychiatry Activism, premiere film screenings, an art exhibit, and discussion groups about psychiatric survivor community and resistance.
All events are located at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, 252 Bloor Street West, in Toronto. All events are free and wheelchair accessible!
The PSYCHIATRIC SURVIVOR PRIDE WEEKEND schedule is as follows:
***Saturday, September 27th***
Art Exhibit Public Viewing 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., 7th Floor Peace Lounge
Art will also be on display during the other events
Psychiatric Survivor Pride Opening and Greetings from CAPA
Snacks and drinks will be provided
1:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., 7th Floor Peace Lounge
Premiere Documentary Film Screenings Featuring "Bombarded by Drugs" and "The Electroshock Report"
1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., 7th Floor Peace Lounge
Presentation of CAPA's Award for Lifetime Antipsychiatry Activism
To be presented to Sue Clark-Wittenberg. Click here for more info(???-Molly). 3:30p.m. to 4:00 p.m., 7th Floor Peace Lounge.
Art Exhibit Public Viewing
4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., 7th Floor Peace Lounge
***Sunday, September 28th***
Resistant Art: Understanding and Exploring Psychiatric Oppressions
Workshop open only to psychiatric survivors and mad people
Please RSVP before event at capa@oise.utoronto.ca
Food will be provided 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., 7th Floor, Room 7-162
What was, what is and what will be: Looking at psychiatric survivor,antipsychiatry, and mad organizing and action.
Workshop open to activists and artists involved in the psychiatric survivor, antipsychiatry or mad movements
Please RSVP before event at capa@oise.utoronto.ca
Food will be provided1 p.m. to 3 p.m., 7th Floor, Room 7-162
**
Ontario Coalition Against Poverty
10 Britain St. Toronto, ON M5A 1R6
416-925-6939
**

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MENTAL HEALTH CONSUMER PROVEDER
I have personal experience with this subject. I was disabled, in treatment and receiving social security for five years. I joined a club house in Newton Massachusetts. After this I found a telemarketing job. A year and six months into this recovery I got a residential counselor working with individuals called mentally retarded. I slept overnight three nights an excellent situation for someone with depression. The agency had tuition reimbursement if you stayed on for a year. I took advantage of this and enrolled in the U Mass Boston Rehab Counseling program. I latter moved into a therapeutic community and worked as a counselor. Because I have dyslexia it took seven years to get my Masters. When I did I took a job with a Program of Assertive Community Treatment (PACT) in central Massachusetts. I was able to advocate for clients and help them with a lot of problems. The psychiatrist and staff were supportive but my LD caused some problems with a clerical person. After four years I moved near Boston to take a better paying job with a PACT in Malden as a Vocational Counselor. The company Tri-City Mental Health Center (TCMHC) was merging with Eliot Community Mental Health (ECMH).
No one new I had a disability when I took the job. The manager saw I had the experience of being on an effectively operated PACT and they offered me an extra week vacation and a large pay increase. After taking the job I saw that clients were not getting services they needed like help with housing and jobs. I raised these concerns with Aaron Katz the program director but the response I got was that I shouldn’t bring up such issues. Soon the work place became hostile and I got the “you aren’t fitting in talk” from management. One manager M Mathews denied she offered me an extra week vacation. Then I got written up and a termination threat for late paper work. Some of the paper work was the program directors responsibility. I advocated for my self and asked for accommodations I am entitled to under the American’s with Disabilities Act. My request was denied by a Katz. But, when a client in crisis did not get help from management in a timely manner after I brought this to the managers attention I got blamed. I filed two grievances with the union but management ignored them.
Soon I was thrown out like the trash. I developed psychiatric symptoms and entered counseling. But I had to go without treatment. ECHS management contested my unemployment claim and refused to pay me for my last two weeks work. Because of all this I lost my health insurance and couldn’t continue taking medications or seeing a therapist, Now, I can not get a good job because I do not have a reference from my last employer. My health problems have not been treated and I am applying for Social Security Disability.
I found management’s main interest was in misleading the Massachusetts Department of Mental Health about how the PACT was operated. Ethical issues were not to be discussed. Dishonesty and hostility were the foundations of management’s practice. They treat counselors like dogs.

Signed,
Dog Meat

Anonymous said...

yeezy 500
yeezy
jordan shoes
supreme clothing
golden goose sneakers
off white
moncler jackets
kd 14
yeezy 350
kyrie 7 shoes