QUOTATIONS FROM THE ANARCHISTS:
PART III: MICHAEL BAKUNIN:
- "Freedom, morality and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it".
- "People go to church for the same reason they go to a tavern:to stupefy themselves, to forget their misery, to imagine themselves, for a few minutes anyway, free and happy".
- "The liberty of man consists solely in this:that he obeys natural laws because he has himself recognized them as such, and not because they have been externally imposed upon him by any extrinsic will whatever, divine or human, collective or individual".
- "The passion for destruction is also a creative passion".
- "To revolt is a natural tendency of life. Even a worm turns against the foot that crushes it. In general, the vitality and relative dignity of an animal can be measured by the intensity of its instincts to revolt".
- "The freedom of all is essential to my freedom".
- "The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth".
- "From each according to his faculties;to each according to his needs".
- "Does it follow that I reject all authority ? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker".
- "I am truly free only when all human beings, men and women, are equally free. The freedom of other men, far from negating or limiting my freedom, is, on the contrary, its necessary premise and confirmation".
- "Anyone who makes plans for after the revolution is a reactionary".
- "If there is a state, then there is domination, and in turn there is slavery".
- "A boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore if God did exist he would have to be abolished".
- "Where the state begins, individual liberty ceases, and vise versa".
- "He who desires to worship God must harbour no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity".
- "Idealism is the despot of thought, just as politics is the despot of will".
- "If there is a human being who is freer than I, then I shall necessarily become his slave. If I am freer than any other, then he will become my slave. Therefore equality is an absolutely necessary condition of freedom".
- "Powerful states can maintain themselves only by crime, little states are virtuous only by weakness".
- "From the naturalistic point of view, all men are equal. There are only two exceptions to this rule of naturalistic equality:geniuses and idiots".
- "Throw a theory into the fire. It only spoils life".
21. "Everything will pass, and the world will perish but the Ninth Symphony will remain".
That's it for now. Just a little Molly Note. I've added the WikiQuote and Think Exist sites to the 'Other Interesting Links' section of this blog. Looking to see who said what. Go there as well as to the Quote Garden.